Do you know about Google Analytics? Google Analytics is a powerful way to monitor your site’s stats. If you are a new user, this guide will help you with how to set up Google Analytics on a WordPress blog and its setup.
Most websites use this fantastic service to monitor blogs and website visitors. Install this analytics service on your site right away if you haven’t already.
More websites are not using the Analytics tool to track their visitors these days. So, from a beginner’s perspective, we’ll go over everything step by step.
What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is one of Google’s free services. After purchasing Urchin Software Corporation in November 2005, Google started this service. Google Analytics is now the most widely used web analytics solution on the planet. Google Analytics has two different versions available.
There’s Google Analytics 360 (previously Google Analytics Premium) and Google Analytics for Mobile Apps (Target for gathering usage data from iOS and Android) for enterprise target bases. They are services that require a subscription.
This service was launched in April 2011 and includes several dashboard features. It introduced real-time analytics on September 29, 2011. It allows you to learn more about the people currently visiting your website. However, Google Analytics now offers free online statistics tracking services for regular blogs.
Self-hosted WordPress blogs, Blogspot blogs, and other free blogging platforms are examples of usual blogs. Users can create up to 100 site profiles with this service, each with their own website. However, it is only available to sites with fewer than 5 million monthly page views.
Google Analytics is one of the top free services from Google. This service generates detailed statistics about your blog or website’s traffic and traffic sources.
This analytics also provides information on measures, conversions, and sales.
popular and helpful service for all bloggers and webmasters.
The Google Analytics service offers two versions: the Basic (which is completely free) version and the Premium version (with a fee).
- It tracks visitors from all referrers, including search engines, social networks, direct visits, and referring sites.
- It tracks display advertising, pay-per-click networks, email marketing, and digital collateral.
Before installing the above plugin, you need to set up a Google Analytics account for your blog. The below steps help you with this account setup.
How do I set up a Google Analytics account?
Step 1: Create a Google Analytics account
This is the time to create a new Google Analytics account. To do this, visit the Google Analytics SignUp page.
After clicking on the link, you will get the screen below. If you have a Google or Gmail account, you can use that directly to sign in. If you do not have any Gmail accounts, create one Gmail account, then use the login details here.
Step 2: Signup for a new Google Analytics Account
After entering your login details for your Google account or Gmail, you will get the “Signup” button for a new Google Analytics account. Now click on the button.
Step 3: Enter your website details
Now choose a Web site. Then fill in the details in Account Name, Website Name, Website URL, Industry Category, and Reporting time zone in Setting up your account form.
Once you have entered the information, click on Get Tracking ID and click on the I Agree button to agree to the terms and conditions of Google Analytics.
Step 4: Copy the Tracking code and ID
Now you will be redirected to your Google Analytics tracking code. Just copy the website tracking code and tracking ID into a separate notepad.
Do not close this page. You may need to revisit this page. Open your blog in a separate tab and log in to your WordPress dashboard.
There are more methods are used to integrate your newly created Google Analytics tracking code into your WordPress blog.
Your New google analytics account is ready. Now you need to know How to install Google Analytics in WordPress.
How to set up google analytics in WordPress Blogs?
There are so many different methods being used to set up Google Analytics on WordPress blogs.
To set up Google Analytics on your WordPress blog, I am going to explain this installation process in three different methods. Choose one method and start the installation as per your needs and requirements.
- How to integrate Google analytics without a plugin?
- How to set up Google Analytics with the plugin?
How to integrate Google Analytics to WordPress without a plugin?
How to integrate Google Analytics without a plugin? In WordPress blogs, this is a basic and manual method. Before starting this, you need to backup your WordPress theme. If there is anything wrong with this method, you can easily revert it back. If you misplace the code in the code editing part, the whole site will be down. So, theme backup is compulsory. Just follow the steps carefully.
Step 1: Get the Google Analytics Tracking code
- Login into your Google Analytics account and select the website for which you need the tracking code.
- Choose Admin from the left sidebar.
- Click on Tracking Info > Tracking code from the Property column.
- Now you will get the Google Analytics Tracking code under the Website Tracking Select the code by pressing Ctrl + A in the box, then press Ctrl + C. Now save the code in Notepad separately.
Step 2: Add the code in the Header.php file
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance > Editor from the left sidebar.
- Now click on the Header.php file on the right-side.
- Now paste the Tracking code just after the <body> tag
- Then click the Update file. That’s it.
Now your website will start tracking with the Google Analytics code. Because you have added Google Analytics to WordPress without a plugin.
How to set up google analytics with the plugin?
The Google Analytics WordPress plugin installation and setup is much easier than the first method. To do this, you need to choose the best plugin, either free or premium. I listed a few of the WordPress plugins above.
Personally, I am using those plugins on my blogs and am getting great insights into my blogs without logging into my WordPress dashboard.
Check the Google Analytics WordPress Plugins list to understand the functions and pick one from the list as per your blog’s needs.
Here I am going to explain how to set up Google Analytics with a WordPress plugin using the MonsterInsights plugin. Because this is the best and most popular plugin and has reached more than 1 million active installations. This is a simple plugin and is easy to use from a beginner to an expert. On this blog, I am using Google Analytics Dashboard for the WordPress plugin.
The MonsterInsights plugin has two versions. They are the free version and the MonsterInsights Pro version. In the pro version, e-commerce tracking, ad tracking, and author tracking features are additional features.
Step 1: Install and Activate the Plugin
Installation and activation of the plugin are very easy. To do this,
- Go to Plugins > Add New on the left side of the column from your WordPress dashboard.
- Now search for the word “Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights” in the plugin directory search bar.
You will get the plugin on the result page, then click on Install then click to Activate.
Step 2: Authenticate your Google Analytics account
- After the plugin activation, you will see the message at the top of your dashboard. To set up your Google account with this plugin, just click the link to Google Analytics settings.
- It redirects to the Insights > Setting page and starts the plugin configuration.
- On the settings page, click on Authenticate with your Google account to connect your Google Analytics account.
Now you will get an authentication popup for account authentication. Click Next.
- Then click on “Click to get Google code.”
- Your Google account will ask for permission in a separate pop-up window. Just click on “Allow.”
- The popup will show a line of code. Just copy that code.
- Paste the code into the MonsterInsights pop-up and click Next to continue.
- Your Google account is authenticated with the MonsterInsights plugin. Now select the profile from the Analytics Profile and choose your website name from the drop-down menu, then click Next and done.
Now you have successfully installed and set up Google Analytics on your WordPress site. The plugin will start collecting Google Analytics data from your Google Analytics account. Displaying the results takes some time.
After a few hours, your Google Analytics report will be shown inside of your WordPress dashboard.
To see this report, visit the Insights > Reports page to check out the data.
How to add Google Analytics Tracking Code to Blogger?
Setting up a Google Analytics account for a Blogspot blog is very easy. There are two major steps.
- Step 1: Create a Google Analytics account.
- Step 2: Add the Google Analytics Property ID
- Step 3: Add Google Analytics Tracking Code to the Blogger Template
Step 1: Create a Google Analytics Account
- Visit the Google Analytics home page
- Click on “Create an Account.”
- Enter your blog’s address, account name, country, and time zone.
- Agree with the terms and conditions by putting a checkmark in the “Yes, I agree to the above terms and conditions” checkbox.
- Then click the “Create Account” button.
- In the next step, find the Web “Property ID” and the “Get Google Tracking Code.” Copy the ID and Google tracking code and store them in a notepad. In the same window, copy the tracking code into the note pad.
Step 2: Add Google Analytics Property ID
- Login to your Blogger account dashboard.
- Go to Settings > Other > Google Analytics.
- Paste the Web Property ID collected from the above method and paste it into the “Analytics Web Property ID box” and save settings.
- Now it’s time to add the tracking code to the blogger template.
Step 3: How to Install the Google Analytics Tracking Code
Where to put the Google Analytics code on the Blogger blog?
- From your Blogger dashboard, go to Blogger > Template > Edit HTML
- First, backup your blog template before adding the tracking code.
- Now search for the /body> tag in the box by pressing “Ctrl + F”.
- Paste your Google Analytics Tracking code just above the “/body” tag.
- Save the Template
- That’s it.
Adding Google Analytics to the blog or site is the basic concept in this tutorial.
Now you have successfully finished the method of setting up and installing Google Analytics ID and Google Analytics Tracking Code on your blogger blog.
Then wait for 24 hours to get your blog’s traffic report in Google Analytics.
How to check your Blog reports on the Google analytics website?
After completing the above steps, such as installing or integrating the method of Google Analytics with your blog, if you need to check your blog statistics or reports on official analytics, follow the below steps.
Step 1: Log in to your Google Analytics account with your credentials.
Step 2: You will be redirected to the built-in Google analytics report dashboard. It has an audience, acquisition, behavior, and conversions in the left column.
- Audience: It helps you understand your visitors or users.
- Acquisition: It helps you know the user’s entry path.
- It helps you know the user’s activity after they land on your blog.
- The reports show your goals in detail. Is it completed or not?
These are the basic places to find the additional details of your user’s or visitor’s entry to their activity on your blog.
This article helps you to learn how to set up Google Analytics on your WordPress blog with or without plugins.
In this blog, we have explained in detail how to set up your Google Analytics account on your WordPress website and connect it with your Google Analytics account.
This way, you can track the web stats of your website from one dashboard, making it easier for you to understand the performance of your website. Alternatively, you can also try our MonsterInsights premium plugin that will do all the hard work for you and help you track the performance of your website in real-time!
- Rank Math WordPress SEO plugin and its Settings in 2022
- How to Build Your WordPress Website Quickly with Elementor Plugin?
- What is Cloudflare? How to Connect Free CloudFlare CDN to your WordPress Blog?
- How to Submit Your WordPress XML Sitemap to all Search Engines ?
- How to use Mailchimp for Email Marketing in 2022? (Beginners Guide)
Setting up Google Analytics on your WordPress website is a great way to track the performance of your website.
By connecting your account and installing the MonsterInsights premium plugin, you can access detailed reports that will help you understand the traffic and conversion rates on your website. Try it today and see the difference for yourself!
If you like this article, please share it with your friends on social media. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin for more additional information.